The biceps curl with bar can be done with either the straight bar or the EZ bar (which is shaped like a W), making it one of the favorite exercises of bodybuilding practitioners. Perhaps because it is one of the exercises that more weight allows us to lift with our arms, which gives a sensation of strength very interesting.
HOW TO PERFORM CORRECTLY THE CURL OF BICEPS WITH BAR?
- Breathe in and then elevate your forearms trying not to bend your back or chest.
- As we said before; we stand up, with a straight back, a leg opening barely wider than the width of the shoulders and taking the bar with a pronation grip.
- In the end, we hold up for a moment, exhale and proceed to descend the bar in a controlled way.
VARIANTS ACCORDING TO THE POSITION OF THE HANDS
Depending on the opening of the hands with which we take the bar we can focus the exercise on different arm muscles, which in combination can help us to define the muscle correctly.
With your hands far apart your work on the short portion of the biceps, while with your hands together you focus more on the long portion of the biceps.
Complementing these three types of exercises for arms we will obtain, as we said before, a spectacular result at the time of giving form to the biceps, at the same time that it helps us, also, to gain strength since several muscles intervene.
TIPS FOR CURLING BICEPS WITH A BAR
As I said before, although this exercise will allow you to generate a great definition and progressive increase of the muscle, you must take into account the following precautions when performing it:
- Place your legs slightly apart.
- Bend your knees very slightly, which will allow you to keep your back straight, something essential to avoid injuries or overloads.
- Both the ascent and descent of the bar should be done in a controlled way trying not to raise the elbows on the ascent or leave your arms fully stretched in the descent.
Other training tips for training biceps with the bar can be summarized as follows:
Keep your body upright, mainly your chest and shoulders. If you round your shoulders during the exercise, the tension on your biceps decreases. It is also a risk for the spine if the exercise is performed with a weight that does not allow the correct technique.
For maximum tension on the biceps and anterior biceps, keep the elbows permanently against the sides. If you let them go forward by raising the bar, there will be relaxation at the top of the biceps, which will reduce tension and make the exercise easier and less effective.
If the bar is too heavy, you have to squeeze your thumb against the bar at the start of the ascent: and as I said before, keep in mind that the heavier the bar, the greater the risk of injury to the lower back.
Use a load that allows you to exercise with the right technique for the best results.
If the load is excessive, the range of motion is limited and you can’t fully reach the correct amplitude of the exercise.